1 a candidate with no chance of winning but who may draw enough votes to prevent one of the leading candidates from winning
2 someone who takes spoils or plunder (as in war) [syn: plunderer, pillager, looter, despoiler, raider, freebooter]
4 an airfoil mounted on the rear of a car to reduce lift at high speeds
5 a hinged airfoil on the upper surface of an aircraft wing that is raised to reduce lift and increase drag
- Rhymes: -ɔɪlə(r)
- A document,
review or comment that discloses the
ending or some key surprise, or twist in a story.
- Good netiquette dictates that one warn of spoilers before discussing them, so that readers who wish to do so may experience the surprises for themselves.
- In the context of "aeronautics": A device to reduce lift
- In the context of "automobiles": A device to reduce lift and increase downforce
- In the context of "politics|gaming": An individual unable to win an election or game for him- or herself, but with the power to determine which player or candidate among two or more others does win.
- In the context of "trading card games": A comprehensive list of objects and their characteristics.
document, review or comment
- Finnish: ilonpilaaja
aeronautics: device to reduce lift
- Finnish: spoileri
automobiles: device to reduce lift and increase downforce
- Finnish: spoileri
politics, gaming: individual unable to win but with the power to determine the winner
trading card games: comprehensive list of objects and their characteristics
Spoiler could refer to
- Spoiler (aeronautics), a device to reduce lift in aeronautics
- Spoiler (automotive), a device to modify air flow in order to increase fuel efficiency or improve handling in automobiles
- Spoiler (sports), a team that has been eliminated from the playoffs, and beats a team that required that win to advance
- Spoiler (media), a comment which discloses plot details of a book, play, video game, or film or is intended to distract attention from a rival
- Spoiler (comics), a secondary character in the DC comic book Robin
- Spoiler (film), a comedy film project in New York City
- Spoiler effect, an individual unable to win an election or game for him- or herself, but with the power to determine which player among two or more others will win
- Mighty Spoiler, a popular calypso singer
- Don Jardine, a professional wrestler also known as "the Spoiler"
spoiler in German: Spoiler
spoiler in French: Spoiler
spoiler in Korean: 스포일러 (동음이의)
spoiler in Italian: Spoiler
spoiler in Dutch: Spoiler
spoiler in Japanese: スポイラー
spoiler in Norwegian: Spoiler
spoiler in Polish: Spoiler
spoiler in Russian: Спойлер
spoiler in Thai: สปอยเลอร์